The law introduces a requirement from 1 February 2016 for your landlord to carry out Right to Rent checks for a new tenancy agreements to determine whether occupiers aged 18 and over have the right to live in the UK legally.

Why do you need to check my immigration status? 

The Government is introducing new "Right to Rent" rules, which give all landlords a legal duty to check that every tenant has the right to live in the UK. To do that, we need to take copies of documents which prove your nationality, and that you have the right to rent a property here. 

Why does this rule affect me? 

The same checks apply equally to all adults residing in the property — including British citizens, nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA), and people from elsewhere in the world. 

What is the information used for? 

The information only helps us to confirm your legal status. We will not discriminate for or against you because of your nationality. We will not use information for marketing or other purposes. 

Why do you take copies of the documents? 

We submit your documents for visual and data checks, to confirm they are genuine. We are also obliged by law to keep a copy of your documents for one year after your tenancy has ended. 

British citizens and nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA) 

If you are British, a citizen of the UK and Colonies with right of abode in the UK or a permanent resident of an EEA country or Switzerland, you automatically have the right to rent in the UK. We do still need to take copies of documents proving your nationality. 

Countries in the EEA are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK. 

Nationals from outside the EEA 

As well as confirming your nationality, we need to check that you have the right to stay in the UK. If your permission has a time limit, we will need to check it again in future once that time limit has ended or after 12 months, whichever occurs later. 

What happens if I cannot provide documents? 

We are not permitted to rent to you if you do not have the necessary documents and will be fined if we do so. 

Why do you need to see me? 

We must verify identity documents in the presence of the holder of that document. So we need to see every adult resident of the property. 

Which documents can we accept? 

We are happy to accept any one of the following:

 Your Passport

(which can be current or expires), showing you are a British citizen of the UK and colonies with a right of abode in the UK, or a national of the EEA or Switzerland – or that you are allowed to stay in the UK. 

A certificate of registration or naturalisation 

As a British citizen. 

Your national identity card 

Showing you are a national of EEA or Switzerland. 

A registration certificate 

or a document showing you are a permanent resident of a county in the EU or EEA, or Switzerland 

A current or permanent residence card 

showing you are allowed to stay in the UK because you are a family member of a national from the EEA or Switzerland, or have derivative right of residence . 

Home Office document 

such as a biometric document or immigration status document with a photograph --with a valid endorsement showing you are allowed to stay in the UK. 


Alternatively, you can show us any two from the following list:


Your birth or adoption certificate 

as long as it was issued in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland, and includes the name of at least one of your parents. 

A current driving license 

This can be full or provisional. 

A signed letter confirming your name and address 

that was issued within the last three months b/ a UK government department or local authority, or a eriti3h passport holder (including their name, address and passport number) or from your employer, confirming your status as an employee. 

Confirmation of current or previous service in the UK armed forces 

your identity card, HM forces documentation or a letter from the Secretary of State. 

A letter from a UK further or higher education institution 

confirming your acceptance on a course of studies. 

A current UK firearm or shotgun certificate 

A Disclosure and earning Service certificate 

issued within the last three months. 

A letter from a UK police force 

With a crime reference number, confirming that your personal documents have been stolen within the last three months. 

A letter from a UK prison service 

confirming that you have been released from custody in the last three months, or a letter from your probation officer confirming you are the subject of a supervision order. 

Benefits paperwork 

from the HMRC, Local Authority or Job Centre plus, within the last three months. 


Get FREE Updates & Join Over 10,000 Subscribers!

* indicates required